Sports dentistry involves the prevention and treatment of dental injuries and related oral disorders, as well as the sharing of information and equipment aimed to help athletes of all ages safeguard their teeth, mouth, jaw, and face. Athletes are prone to tooth and mouth injuries. If your child participates in sports, it is critical to protect his or her smile for both cosmetic and health reasons. Schedule an appointment with Lisa J. Baker, DDS in Bloomington, IN for the ideal dental services.
Common Dental Injuries in Sports
When attempting to salvage a tooth, time is of the essence, so see your dentist as soon as possible. In general, re-implanting the tooth in the socket has a 30-minute window of opportunity.
- Do not attempt to re-implant the tooth on your own.
- Cold milk is the ideal liquid to transport a tooth in.
- Do not allow the tooth to dry out or wrap it in anything.
- If possible, avoid touching the tooth root.
- Your dentist will most likely use an X-ray of the tooth to determine the appropriate therapy.
- Get to your dentist as soon as possible if you have a significant chip that exposes the pulp of the tooth.
- If a tooth is chipped or fractured, it may be possible to repair it with a filling or bonding alone.
- When a tooth is cracked or chipped in such a way that it affects the nerve, a more sophisticated treatment may be required.
- If a tooth is displaced as a result of trauma, consult your dentist as soon as possible.
- Do not attempt to move the tooth on your own.
- Apply ice to any oral irritation before going to the dentist.
Do You Need a Sports Dentist?
Sports dentistry is critical if you or your child participates in a contact sport. If your regular dentist performs sports dentistry, he or she can provide you with a custom-fitted mouthguard to prevent injuries and even propose the appropriate dental care for your level of activity. This is critical for avoiding injury.
A sports mouth guard is the greatest alternative for protecting your teeth and mouth from injury. There are a variety of mouthguards available to match your requirements. A basic mouthguard can be purchased at most sporting goods stores, but a personalized mouthguard will fit better and provide more effective protection. Our dentists can recommend a mouth guard that is appropriate for your needs.
At Lisa J. Baker, DDS, our experienced team provides the best dental care for patients in Bloomington, IN. Call our Bloomington, IN dental office at (812) 269-8230 to schedule your appointment.