Discover Your Teeth Bleaching Options
Posted by Lisa J. Baker, DDS on Dec 2 2019, 04:16 AM
Dr. Lisa J. Baker of Bloomington, IN, provides patients with bleaching and non-bleaching products to whiten teeth. A dental procedure.
How are teeth stained?
- Foods and beverages like coffee, tea, sodas, red wines, and certain fruits or vegetables.
- Chewing tobacco and smoking can stain teeth.
- Inadequate brushing, flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash.
- Several diseases affect enamel and expose dentin, the yellow layer under enamel, and certain treatments like radiation and chemotherapy can cause teeth discoloration.
- Certain medications, antibiotics, tetracycline, and doxycycline, discolor teeth.
- Certain dental materials like amalgam restorations, silver sulfide-containing materials, can cause graying of teeth.
- Aging is natural but of course with that enamel gets worn away, revealing the yellow dentin.
- Genetics dictates the natural color of enamel.
- The environment can contribute to staining. Too much and excessive use of toothpaste containing fluoride and fluoride supplements may cause discoloration.
- Trauma can disturb enamel as a child, causing discoloration to adult teeth.
So, how are teeth whitened?
Non-bleaching products are abrasive because they consist of strong chemicals that remove only surface stains on teeth but bleaching products, when used by your Bloomington family dentist, brighten your teeth several shades because they consist of peroxide.
Dr. Baker uses another method, other than bleaching. A flexible device is given to patients. A special gel is placed into the device and you're to place it over your teeth and wear it for a certain period of time. After removing the device, a second bleaching agent is applied on teeth and a special light activates the chemical to whiten teeth.
Need a consultation? If you have more questions about teeth bleaching, make sure you call your family dentist, Dr. Lisa Baker, in Bloomington, IN, at (812) 269-8230 today! Everybody deserves a great smile that makes them feel confident.